Saturday, November 19, 2011

An Anecdote for Knowing It All
I woke up this a.m. and listened to my favorite political fix show Morning Joe. Naturally most of the news was about the Super Committee dealing with the budget, the Republican candidates for president expressing their viewpoints, and the lingering news about the Penn State fiasco surrounding the accusations of child abuse brought against a long time football coach. I then read a few e-mails from some of my friends who were expressing hard line positions about “certain” people and things political – most with which I strongly disagreed. At first I wanted to e-mail them back and tell them about their “lost” way and share the “truth” with them. As you can see I started my day hearing about people taking hard line positions – speaking as if they knew it all about the person or the issue which they were addressing. It was then that I turned to my morning meditative reading. The words I read were from the twentieth century monastic Thomas Merton.
We ought to have the humility to admit we do not know all about ourselves, that we are not experts at running our own lives. We ought to stop taking our conscious plans and decisions with such infinite seriousness. It may well be that we are not the martyrs or mystics or apostles or the leaders or lovers of God that we imagine ourselves to be. Our subconscious mind may be trying to tell us this in many ways and we have trained ourselves with the most egregious self-righteousness to turn a deaf ear.”
Was this a God thing? Those who have ears, hear! Maybe taking the time to come to know ourselves (our desires, our motives, our strengths, our weaknesses, our hopes and fears) before becoming a know it all about any person or issue might just be the way to building bridges over chasms of misunderstanding.

No comments: