Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Christian?

Lord, I Want to Be a Christian

                It was painful and made me angry.  I am a daily viewer of MSNBC’s Morning Joe.  It is one of the most balanced and insightful politically focused shows on television.  I have heard high praise from people of all political persuasions – including friends who worked in the Reagan White House.  The main commentators represent both sides of the majority political scene – Joe Scarborough, a one time Republican member of the Congress from Florida, and Mika Brzezinski, an ardent but reflective Democrat.  The interviewees also reflect the show’s intent to let all spectrums of the political dialogue  be heard.  This morning the Rev. Dr. Franklin Graham was interviewed.  Naturally he was asked about  Rick Santorum’s words about whether President Obama is a Christian.  His answer was very circumspect.  When asked about Santorum’s and even Gingrich’s faith, he was very direct in affirming that they are “Christian.”  The more he talked the more he alluded to his opinion that Obama (That’s how he addressed the President of the United States) was not governing like a Christian.  When he described what a Christian was he used the traditional language that a Christian is a person who at a definable moment in his or her life has accepted Jesus Christ as her or his personal Lord and Savior.  Consistent church attendance also appeared to be a secondary criteria. 

                Well by the time he was finished, he had placed me on the fringe of Christendom and eliminated most of my friends from eternal salvation – both Tea Partyers and Progressives, Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians and all other eclectic political thinkers, Jews as well as Mormons, Muslims, Christian Scientists, Hindus and all loving agnostics and, oh yes, Sunday morning golfers.  To all my friends who read this blog let me say – “Sorry about that!”  Naturally one of Jesus’ best remembered teachings came to mind – “Judge, lest you be not judged.”  I could go on in my own judgment of the Rev. Dr. Franklin Graham, but I would prefer to let grace abound.

                Amid my stewing over the Rev. Dr. Graham’s words and the recent pontification on things theological spoken by some in the Republican presidential race as well the trivializing and questioning  by some of President Obama’s soul bearing faith journey at the Presidential Prayer Breakfast,  the words of an African American hymn came to mind.  “Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart…….Lord I want to be more loving….Lord I want to be like Jesus.”  I want to be a Christian in my heart, not just in my words!  I want be like Jesus – more gracious than judgmental in the words I speak, more concerned about the poor, more concerned about loving my neighbor (Which includes enemies in our family and around the world – yes, that’s in the Bible), more forgiving, more generous in the use of my giving (Remember if you have two robes it is good to share one to another who has none – I am still working hard on this one), …….you probably by now get the message. 

                Christians with a different perspective than Dr. Graham on the issue, now is the  time to stand up and without apology say “Even if my way of building the realm of God is different from yours and even if I can’t identify the exact moment when I said I am going to follow Jesus, I am still a journeying Christian, seeking the Spirit’s guidance.  I do want to be like Jesus!  God bless you Dr. Graham and others who think like you!  I am glad we are part of a diverse family of Christ-followers.”  Now let’s all join together – Lord I want to be a Christian in my heart, in my heart.  Lord I want to be a Christian in my heart. 

P.S. Prayers for the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham who was the catalyst for millions of people considering being like Jesus. 

1 comment:

Micster said...

I was appalled, but not surprised when I heard of Graham's behavior. He is one of a long line of people who frequently mention Jesus and then proceed to behave in a manner which strikes me as unlike the example and teachings of Christ. They should be called out.