Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Golf and Gospel / Thoughts on Perfection and Imperfection

A perfect 8 iron drove the ball 130 yards right over the flag and with back spin rolled it into the hole. That’s a hole-in-one! That happened on the first round of golf that I played with my son, Andrew, on the last hurrah stop on my sabbatical trip. The hole-in-one was not mine – it was Andrew’s! I am glad that I didn’t miss it! If I hadn’t taken the time to STOP and be with family I would have missed an important – maybe not to everyone – moment. It was a perfect shot and a perfect day!
The hole-in-one brought back memories of my one and only hole-in-one. There was a difference however – more than I hit a five iron 176 yards into the hole. Andrew’s hole-in-one flew perfectly over the pin and rolled gently back into the hole. Mine (accomplished when I was 19) flew about 90 yards in the air and then bounced and rolled the last 86 yards into the hole. It was a far from perfect shot.
So what does this have to do with spiritual reflection and personal faith? The first is to take time for essential things like being with important people – family and close friends. The other is to remember that God can use our less than perfect efforts to get the job done. Few (until now) knew the lack of golf artistry that led to having my name engraved on a plaque signifying a rare golf occurrence. God judges us on our good intentions. And if our intentions are good, God can use our less than perfect implementation to build the realm.
Congratulations son! And may all the sons and daughters of the living God keep their eyes on the goal and keep on trying!

(I Corinthians 1:26 – A perfect text for Christians and maybe those who chase a little ball!)


Bob

No comments: