Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Lot of Holy Water

I visited the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles today! I lighted a candle and said a few prayers for Anna, Raymond, and Herb – my parents and Gretchen’s father - it’s good to remember. I walked through the sanctuary and the lower mausoleum and viewed the beautiful stained-glass windows. As I went to sit and meditate in the back of the sanctuary I noticed a large pool of water. If I hadn’t known better, I would have thought I was in a Baptist church which had a large baptistery. However it was at the back of the sanctuary – the wrong end for a baptistery. Then I saw the sign – Holy Water. It was a lot of Holy Water and it probably cost a lot of money to build the container for all those gallons. . Every Catholic church has Holy Water so that when worshippers enter or leave the sanctuary they can touch their forehead with a little water to remind them that they are baptized Christians. The remembrance is supposed to help make them act as Christians in ALL that they do.

Sometimes after we leave church we forget that!
Maybe we need a large fountain-sized container of water at the entrance to our church which might grab our attention? Maybe we could install one in our homes? But then maybe the best thing to do is remember that we are baptized every time we wash ourselves with water or drink a glass of water or get rained on or walk or ride by a stream or lake! That’s a better idea because it saves on needed space and save money – which could then be redirected to those in greatest need of water and other essentials of life.
How are the ways you remind yourself that you are a Christian?

Refreshingly Yours,

Bob

No comments: