Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No Room at The Inn

"No room!" "No room!" "No room!" After traveling everyday to see all kinds of art museums, naturalist, and historical sights, Gretchen, Bob, and the Styrofoam (I know it is ecologically incorrect) ice chest decided to take a few days at a nice resort in the Tucson - Phoenix - Scottsdale, Arizona area. Since we didn't want to be tied to a schedule, we could only give two-days notice to those inns and resorts who were just waiting to welcome us. Being Marriott Rewards kind of people, we called every resort in that high desert area and found that doctors or corporation types, along with a few other wealthier folk had filled every resort - Marriott as well as all others. I am willing to spring for $250 plus a day and others were willing to pay more than that. No wonder health care and everything is so expensive - "those people" are dropping $300 plus to play on my golf courses and luxuriate at my spas. Fairfield Inns, Comfort Inns - you name it, I think I called them all.
Finally at midnight I gave up the search and went to bed now knowing what Mary and Joseph must have felt like. (Except that Gretchen isn't pregnant!) At least for us, we may have a Motel 6 is in our near future.
Ok, I over-reacted! As I sat back and pondered what had happened, I realized that I should have given thanksgiving for what I have rather than internally complaining about what I didn't have. I have to be honest, there were a few rooms out there for $450 to $750 a night. And I probably could have sprung for a couple of "excessive" days of pure "me!" But, as you know my head starts thinking of people I have met who have next to nothing and it makes me keep "my" desires somewhat under control - I am still too excessive!
So at the end of it all, I ended up saying "Thank You" and praying that in some way through saying of my prayers of intercession and sharing my material resources that I can be a Godsend to some anonymous Mary and Joseph out there as they seek to find comfort in the situation they find themselves.
I hope someone will keep the light on for me tonight.

Journeying Out Not Knowing Where God Will Lead,

bob

4 comments:

C. Tate said...

That's where my family is from! (Tucson). I'm sure they would have welcomed you with open arms...oh well, next time

TONY said...

Mary and Joseph did not quibble about price, there was nothing to be had at any price. Splurge a little,Bob. Treat Gretchen to some 5 star service and remember its only money and you cant take it with you.
Safe jurney
Tony

James Harker said...

Bob, Just wanting to talk to you. Sent you a message.
I am Jim Harker from Anacortes, Wa., talking to you about Jim Dean.

James Harker said...

James Harker, Hey Bob, send me an email.